A guest becomes a tenant if:
- The guest stays at the hotel for 30 days or more; and
- The guest has paid for all room charges owed by the 30th day.
*** Courts have found guests to be tenants even when the 30-day stay is not consecutive. Checking out a guest for one day and then checking them back does not avoid tenant status.
Hotel owners should provide the following to guests, but not tenants
- Fireproof safe
- Essential telephone service
- Maid/ housekeeping
- Mail service
- Food establishment that is on or next to the hotel
Hotel managers have the right to:
- Access guest rooms
- Lock out guests who don’t pay room charges on time